I'm an award-winning, major market professional journalist experienced broadcast, print and wire service news. I've worked between five and 20 years at most of my jobs, comfortable with working long and unusual hours and able to turn out air product under time and format limits on multiple topics from breaking news to features.
I'm creative and resourceful (first in the Los Angeles market to use wireless technology to run and finish the L.A. Marathon, winning awards while reporting live.) I'm adept at audio production, displayed in Fox News Radio reports on American Idol for three seasons.
I've worked at most of my jobs for between five and twenty years, operate well under pressure, get along well with people as a team player and honestly try to deliver at maximum productivity each day and prove myself at each stage of my career.
I spent twenty years on-air at the Los Angeles market's all-news outlet, most of it AMD and as Bureau Chief of its Orange County bureau with coverage in various dayparts (exited as part of a mass layoff preceding a format change.) For over three years, I've handled weekends (and fill in as needed) at a Los Angeles/Southern CA wire service, providing fast, accurate copy relied on by nearly all the market's TV, radio and print outlets.
I've kept current with digital technology and have broadcast quality equipment at home.
- Fast. fair and accurate reporting.
- I am a writer, able to translate complex material into language regular people can understand.
- I have experience at covering a wide range of subjects from crime, courts and politics to medicine and entertainment.
- With tremendous stamina, I am accustomed to long and odd hours and have been described as an "Eveready Bunny" or "dynamo."
- I am a team player who gets along well with others.
- I am constantly cognizant of accuracy and sensitive to safeguarding the reputation of my employers.
- I earned two Best Sports Golden Mike Awards for running the 1987 L.A. Marathon with a backpack I designed to hold a large cellphone and extra batteries. I earned another Golden Mike five years later while guiding a blind runner who described the experience from her perspective.
- I earned two Golden Mikes for creative use of sound/light feature reporting on rock pioneer Little Richard's induction into the Movieland Wax Museum in Buena Park.
- I also shared Golden Mikes as part of KFWB's overall coverage (Best News Broadcast 1997, 2007) and Best Continuing News Coverage of the 1992 L.A. riots.
- I have also been honored by the Greater Los Angeles Press Club for Excellence in Journalism (business news reporting) and three journalism awards for excellence (sports reporting) for my L.A. Marathon accomplishments. I won separate honors from the Women's Sports Foundation and the International Radio Festival of New York (latter to KFWB for L.A. Marathon, Sharon Katchen reporter, silver medal.)
- I also won several awards for features in Denver, including a 30-minute special for KOA on Alzheimer's Disease that looked at the patients themselves, their families and caregivers and options available to help care for them.
August 2010 to Current
City News Service Los Angeles, CA
Police Beat Reporter
I work the 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. shift Saturday, Sunday and holidays at the Los Angeles regional wire service enterprising stories by checking out calls I hear on police and fire scanners, tips from freelance news videographers and press releases.
November 2008 to Current
Fox News Radio Los Angeles, CA
Freelance reporter and fill-in general assignment or entertainment reporter, LA Bureau
I have covered freelance assignments, filled in for the general assignment and entertainment reporters in the Los Angeles Bureau and produced reports on American Idol during three seasons with sophisticated audio production.
KFWB Radio Long Beach, CA
General assignment reporter-Orange County Bureau and Long Beach Bureau.
I worked 16 years as the Orange County Bureau chief and reporter covering breaking stories, assignments and enterprising most of my stories. Topics included crime, disasters, courts, federal, state and local government, medicine, sports and entertainment.
I covered the Long Beach area and other enterprised stories in morning drive four years.
October 2006 to Current
Long Beach Unified School District Long Beach, CA
I assist the classroom teacher in a class of kindergarten and first graders who have speech and language issues, weekdays.
Additional Voice Work
I have done voiceover work in a short documentary film on the White Stork, narrated a history of "Rosie the Riveter" at a Long Beach park named after the women who "manned" assembly lines during World War II and narrated a description of two dozen bird species that live near the duck pond at Long Beach's El Dorado Park, the latter two accessed by cellphone.
Metropolitan State University Denver, CO
Bachelor of Arts Journalism major, political science minor